Castle Saunderson Score Results
Full results and legs split times are now available:
See below for Results from the 2017 Northern Ireland Individual Championships and the Senior Home International Individual Event
|Course no.||Map Scale||Age Classes||Length||Climb|
|1||1:15000||M21E||13.3 km||370 m|
|2||1:15000||W21E, M35||8.4 km||240 m|
|3||1:15000||M20E, M21L, M40||7.4 km||210 m|
|4A||1:15000||W20E||6.1 km||160 m|
|4B||1:10000||M18, M20, M45, M50||6.1 km||160 m|
|5||1:10000||W21L, W35, M16, M55||5.7 km||140 m|
|6||1:10000||W20, M21S, M60||4.7 km||180 m|
|7||1:10000||W18, W40, W45, M65||4.2 km||110 m|
|8||1:10000||W16, W21S, W50, W55, W60||3.7 km||95 m|
|1:10000||W65, W70+M70, M75+||2.6 km||40 m|
|1:10000||W14, M14||3.1 km||80 m|
|1:10000||W12, M12||2.4 km||50 m|
|1:10000||W10, M10||1.7 km||10 m|
Additional Safety/Map/Terrain/ Competition Notes
- There are large piles of logs adjacent to parking and assembly. Please keep clear, in particular, children.
- The potholes and rocky pits marked on the map can be very deep so take care to avoid. One pit is difficult to recognise and is marked by canes with yellow & black tape.
- Small entrance holes to potholes are mapped as black circles with an internal tick. There is one black circle without a tick. It is a small limekiln and is used as a control site.
- Sheep and Cattle are present. Competitors are requested, wherever possible, to avoid running close and startling cattle; particularly cows with calves. Definitely no dogs in the competition area.
- Some previously mapped dense areas of bracken have expanded and other smaller areas have emerged. These have not been mapped.
- Use Marked Crossing Points as indicated on the Control Descriptions; leave gates as found.
- Portaloos will be available close to Assembly.
Bring a whistle and a cag. A no-whistle-no-go rule will be applied (to locate any casualties in this complex terrain) and a cag will be required if weather conditions are poor on this exposed upland.
It is a 20 minute steep uphill walk to the Start from Assembly. (It is sheltered but it is a restricted site for any running warm-up. There will be no clothing transfer). The Finish is approx. 150 m beyond Assembly. Single line parking on the forest road may leave later arrivals up to 500 m from Assembly so ensure you arrive in good time to make your start time.
No exit before 12.30 pm. However please take extra care since early departures are still likely to meet arriving traffic on the shared section of the narrow forest road.
There will be no water stations in the competition or start area.
Prize-giving for the NIOC will be at Assembly at 3.30pm (hopefully earlier!).
The SHI Relays take place in Castle Saunderson on Sunday 10th September starting at 09.30 and finishing around 12 noon.
We intend to offer a Score event starting 12.30 – 13.00 with a time limit of 1 hour. It will be a punching start and will use the SHI controls. The cost will be £6 for Seniors and £3 for Juniors.
Anyone wanting to try SIAC dibbers will have to rent them (£2.50).
Please let us know if you plan to run the Score. email@example.com
The next 2 Sunday activities take place on the following dates:-
- August 27th Lakeland Forum, Enniskillen
- September 3rd Castle Archdale
Starts – 2.30pm
Cost – £3
Fermanagh Orienteers welcome you to Co Fermanagh on September 9th/10th for the NI Open Event and the Senior Home International Competition.
The Open Event/SHI on Saturday will use an updated Florencecourt/Gortalughany map. It will include courses for all age classes competing in the Northern Ireland Championships and also a limited range of Colour Coded courses suitable for beginners and progressing orienteers.
The Senior Home International Competition is a 2 day event. The Individual event will take place on Saturday morning before the Open Event begins in the early afternoon. The Senior Home International Relays will take place on Sunday morning at Castle Saunderson Scout Centre on the Fermanagh/Cavan border.
It is hoped that an EOD score event will be offered at Castle Saunderson, when the relays are over, to local orienteers and anyone staying over for the weekend.
For full details please visit the Northern Ireland Open/SHI Event Page